Monday, May 1, 2017

What I don't like about capsule wardrobes

 


Blazer- Lord and Taylor (old)  option  option
blouse- Limited  option  option
pants-Loft  option
scarf- Belk  option  option
earrings- Macys  option
shoes- Payless  option  option
 
I seem to have a love/hate relationship with capsule wardrobes. I like some aspects but there are some things I don't like about capsule wardrobes. I learned most of these things (likes and dislikes) a few years back when I did a 30x30 remix. It is a great way to challenge yourself, the closet is not nearly as  cluttered, and getting dressed is far easier when you have fewer choices. However, I get really bored with capsule wardrobes. While I love to remix what I own, there are only so many ways to remix something.
 
I mentioned a little while ago that I have been loosely using Classy Yet Trendy's Workwear Capsule Spring 2017 and the Essential Capsule Spring 2017 for outfit inspiration. I didn't embrace the capsule thing wholeheartedly and clear out my closet of everything except those pieces. And here's why. I get really bored with wearing this amount of clothing over and over. Today's outfit and this one are both from the Workwear Capsule ebook. To me they are essentially the same outfit. Let's look side by side:
 
 
 
While the pants are different from the skirt and there is a different blouse in each outfit, to me there is only one different piece- the blouse. In my mind, the bottoms are just "grey bottoms" and are essentially the same even though one is a skirt and one is pants. I suppose if I had different shoes and a darker peach  color blouse, or a different scarf, then outfit two would be more different and less the same. This occurs a lot when you are trying to really stretch a limited number of pieces into a large number of outfits. Eventually you are just switching out one piece, and to me that's not enough to keep me from getting bored.
 
Nonetheless, I still recommend the Capsule Workwear and Essentials ebooks. They are great for getting started with building your solid basic pieces that form a foundation for a wardrobe if you are in need of that. They also have great shopping lists and suggestions and I've picked up a few new ways to wear things I already had. I probably won't wear all 100 outfits in each book because some of them are like these two and too similar. I did wear both outfits to work but kept thinking the whole day I wore the second one that I had just worn this outfit.
 
What are your thoughts on a capsule wardrobe?
 
 
Linking up here: