Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Hurricane break




Blazer- TJMaxx  option  option  option
top- Belk  option
pants- Loft
shoes Ann Klein via Belk  similar
necklace- Kendra Scott
 
I've been on a little break thanks to Hurricane Matthew. Our county started a mandatory evacuation at 7:00 a.m. last Thursday. I had just gotten the call to not report to work at 6:30 a.m. I had not yet began packing to evacuate because I thought I was going to have to go to work and we thought we might stay if Matthew stayed at level 3 or less. He kept bouncing up and down a level so we complied with the evacuation and went about 70 miles inland to my parents. They don't have the best internet service so I didn't touch anything blog related while I was there.
 
As soon as we got the word we could come back, we came home and fired up a generator to save the food in our fridge and freezer. We also found that our front bedroom took in water, likely from the window and maybe at the foundation. We will have to replace carpet in that room. Thanks Matt.  The frustrating thing is that we have lived with the contents of my husband's office space and some of the attic contents around us for the month prior thanks to baby brother Hermine and an AC pan that overflowed in the attic during that storm. The ceiling and attic floor had to be repaired. We were just ready to move the hubby's stuff back in his room the day we had to evacuate. Some of it got thrown in there before leaving. Now we have that stuff plus the contents of the other bedroom stacked around the house. I feel like I'm living in a flea market. But you know what? It's just stuff. And it will get repaired, and hopefully some of it NOT replaced. I'm sick of stuff after shuffling things around for a month. We really need to downsize our possessions. After this experience with this storm, I've decided that even some of the things I thought were important are not. What's important are the memories attached to them and I'll always have those memories and life experiences. 
 
Our house is otherwise fine. We have a couple of trees down to deal with but thankfully they fell away from the house and not on it. I realize others did not fare so well through this storm and other storms. Please keep praying for everyone involved.  I'm so grateful for everything. God is good.
 
Now, about this outfit. I decided to add a new burgundy/wine blazer to the fall/winter wardrobe. (Did you catch my fall color series? I've got more burgundy picks in the series.) I first ordered this one from The Limited but stumbled on the one I'm wearing at TJMaxx for less money.  The other pieces are old but it's refreshing sometimes to just have one new piece to mix in with the others.
 
Follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Bloglovin
Linking up here: